Hygienist TreatmentIn line with our preventive approach, we offer hygiene treatments to help maintain your gum health and protect your teeth.
How it helps
- Gum disease can be detected and treated
- Deep cleaning leaves teeth clean and smooth
- Can help protect against health conditions that affect other areas of your body, such as heart disease and strokes
- Your hygienist can teach you effective oral care techniques
How it worksThe hygienist assesses your gum health, looking for signs of swelling, inflammation or bleeding. They may also take measurements where the gum attaches to the tooth. A chief aspect of the hygienist’s role is to ‘scale and polish’- a thorough clean that removes plaque and tartar from teeth and below the gum line. If you have more advanced gum disease, our visiting periodontal specialist can provide treatment solutions to help save teeth and improve the look of receding gums. The hygienist also demonstrates how to keep teeth free from plaque using toothbrushes, interdental brushes and floss, and offers healthy diet and lifestyle advice.
How to look after gums between appointments
- Keep teeth clean – brush teeth thoroughly at least twice a day, floss once a day and use mouthwash.
- Use effective brushing techniques – your hygienist will show you how to do this.
- Keep healthy – try to give up smoking as this can make you more susceptible to gum disease and eat a well-balanced, low sugar diet.
Want to protect your teeth and pick up some oral healthcare tips? Call us on 01494 783 874.